Re: Circular dependencies? dpkg -P kdelibs3

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 11:33:58PM +0200, Niels L. Ellegaard wrote:

> I would like to purge all my KDE and reinstall, but it looks like
> there is a circular dependency. kdelibs3 and kdelibs3-bin depend on
> eachother. What am I doing wrong here? (see below)
>
> BTW: Is there a single line that would allow me to purge a package
> and all packages that depend on it. I am looking for something like
> 'apt-get purge' or an option in aptitude, but I cannot not find it.
>
>                 Thanks in advance
>
>                         Niels
>
> nissefisken# dpkg -P  kdelibs3-bin
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of kdelibs3-bin:
>  kdelibs3 depends on kdelibs3-bin | kdelibs-bin; however:
>   Package kdelibs3-bin is to be removed.
>   Package kdelibs-bin is not installed.
>   Package kdelibs3-bin which provides kdelibs-bin is to be removed.
>  kdelibs3 depends on kdelibs3-bin | kdelibs-bin; however:
>   Package kdelibs3-bin is to be removed.
>   Package kdelibs-bin is not installed.
>   Package kdelibs3-bin which provides kdelibs-bin is to be removed.
> dpkg: error processing kdelibs3-bin (--purge):
>  dependency problems - not removing
>  kdelibs3-bin
> nissefisken# dpkg -P  kdelibs3
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent removal of kdelibs3:
>  kdelibs3-bin depends on kdelibs3 (>= 4:2.2.2-1).
> dpkg: error processing kdelibs3 (--purge):
>  dependency problems - not removing
>  kdelibs3
> nissefisken# apt-get -s remove kdelibs3
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kdelibs3 kdelibs3-bin
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 1  not
> upgraded.
> Remv kdelibs3 (4:2.2.2-13 Debian:testing) [kdelibs3-bin ]
> Remv kdelibs3-bin (4:2.2.2-13 Debian:testing)

i had the same problem with exim and mailx, it seems to occur when you
try to apt-get two packages at the same time (with apt-get install
package1 package2), but when package2 depends on package1 you get an
error. it seems to be the same when you want so remove them in one. try
reming one, then the other (apt-get remove kdelibs-bin, then apt-get
remove kdelibs (or the other way round))