Re: Difference in quality latex printer output

Robert Ian Smit <robian@xs4all.nl> writes:

> Although you can cleary see that the same formatting options are
> used, the look of the printout is much better when done on the
> unstable system. It's easier to look at, less "crowded". The stable
> system produces output that looks like everything is bold.  Truely
> bold lines are even bolder/blacker still.

I believe that unstable is now using Postscript Type 1 versions of
the Computer Modern fonts.  Stable used metafont to create bitmaps
for your printer.  If you didn't configure the metafont mode dvips
was set to use, you could certainly be getting bitmaps that look
wrong on your printer.

You can check if I'm right, by using dvips on your stable system with

dvips -Pcmz file.dvi -o file.ps

and seeing if that prints correctly.  If so, add

p +psfonts.cmz

to /etc/texmf/dvips/config.ps

Hope this helps and is correct... I don't use Debian's tetex much.

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - I am the rocks.
Scully: I am afraid. I am afraid to believe.