Re: Difference in quality latex printer output

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:20:07 +0200, Robert Ian Smit wrote:

> Although you can cleary see that the same formatting options are used,
> the look of the printout is much better when done on the unstable
> system. It's easier to look at, less "crowded". The stable system
> produces output that looks like everything is bold.  Truely bold lines
> are even bolder/blacker still.
>
> What might be the reason for this difference? Is it possibly the newer
> version of latex or something closer to the printer?

Sounds like the difference between the traditional Computer Modern fonts
(very black, look almost bold) and CM-Super (much dimmer) or something
like that. Consult a LaTeX guru to be sure :-)

> Printing is more or less a mystery to me. I'm glad it works, but I'd
> like to "upgrade" the look of my stable system print output, without
> dist-upgrading. Where do I start?

It's not a printer issue, you're just using different fonts.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!