Re: [OT: Elfquest]

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 13:50, David Fokkema wrote:

> <taking a sip of salted water> <swallowing it with some difficulties>
> <taking a sip of fresh water> Yes, indeed! Funny (and lucky) my taste
> buds for 'bitterness' didn't kick in.

Salt is not bitter.  In fact, salt suppresses bitter, so it's added to
treats/sweets/goodies in order to make them taste sweeter, by
suppressing the bitter.  Bitter, in turn, suppresses sweetness, so
suppressing bitter enhances sweetness.

And in order to graft some GNU/Linux-ness into this, adding "salt" to
passwords (random characters) helps suppress the "bitterness" of having
your system cracked by brute-force dictionary approaches.

Cheers,
Bret

--
bwaldow at alum dot mit dot edu