From: John M. Purser [mailto:jmpurser@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 20:58
To: Bengt Thurée; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: test.mydomain.com ???

I got similar errors from kde using an internal name.  The problem was dns
resolution as the dhcp client was over writing my resolv.conf.  Bottom line,
the place(s) you told your computer to look for addresses didn't come up
with one for that name.

I'd say you could run your own dns server making sure it can update your dns
provider.  Or you can add a line to your /etc/hosts file giving an address
for test.mydomain.com.  Just make sure your /etc/hosts.conf has a line like:
order hosts,bind in it.

John Purser