kernel-package system: install a boot block using the existing /etc/lilo.conf?

I don't understand WHY this excellent reference:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

advises one to do the following:

"Be sure you say "no" when the script asks if you want
to install a boot block using the existing /etc/lilo.conf."

So when the script tests lilo.conf I get the following error:

# cat /var/log/lilo_log.19656
Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems
Warning: Partition 1 on /dev/hda is not marked Active.
Fatal: Filesystem would be destroyed by LILO boot sector: /dev/hda1

That is a scary error and I always say "yes" and it adds a block
to my existing lilo.conf and the script testing lilo.conf is
successful and I can boot the new kernel.

What I don't understand is why the script wants to change
from boot=/dev/hda to boot=/dev/hda1 ???

I am assuming that I would not be able to boot.....

Andy