Re: old laptop I need ugly fast Xwindows please

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:26:53AM -0500, wsykes.lists wrote:
> All,
> I have a crappy old Compaq Presario 1210, and KDE runs like a dog on it.
> I really only need a couple of xterminals, and mouse functionality.

Good. Don't run KDE.

> What version of Xwindows is light and fast on older boxes. I dont care how
> ugly it is.

Keep your X version.

> Will I need to run xdm, or kdm?

Doesn't matter. Xdm is faster, but also ugly. Kdm is not too slow, you
only use it to log into your machine. It has the advantage of presenting
you with a choice of window managers.

What _does_ matter is the window manager you use. KDE and Gnome are
entire desktop environments and thus very slow, especially the new
versions. Run another WM, like icewm or the *boxes which already have
been mentioned. Personally, I like WindowMaker. I use it at home and
compiled it at work to get rid of CDE while not having to run twm (I did
run twm for a few months, but well, I could only stand it for so
long...)

David