Installing on a Dell Latitude C400

Trying (once more) to install on my Dell Latitude C400 I experienced
an unusual problem.  This machine is running RedHat rawhide (almost)
painlessly.  However, I think I prefer Debian and tried to install it
on a free partition.

Everything seems to install quite well, but during the installation
and afterwards the screen was/is constantly flickering at it seems
that the computer thinks the screen is larger than it really is.
Basically it looks like debian is trying to do something wise with the
video timings, but really doesn't have a clue.  I have only installed
a minimum base system, and of course no XFree yet.  (The problem
started almost immediately after I chose "install" on the first menu.)

I never thought it was even possible to do something with the video
timing in console mode, but now I find it is not true.

Anyone know what is happening?

--
Jon Haugsand
  Dept. of Informatics, Univ. of Oslo, Norway, mailto:jonhaug@ifi.uio.no