Re: alsa yields no sound [SOLVED!]

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:44:28PM -0400, David Z Maze wrote:
| "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> writes:
|
| >     I rebuilt the kernel (2.4.20) with the alsa modules.  I booted
| >     with the new kernel, loaded the sound modules and saw that the
| >     card was detected and the device nodes exist (I'm using devfs, so
| >     once the kernel recognizes the device the /dev file is created).
| >     I ran 'alsamixer' and set every volume level to the maximum.
|
| Did you remember to unmute all of the channels, too?  ALSA's default
| seems to be "everything muted", and that's bitten me before.

Good call!  Apparrently thats what the "MM" characters on top of the
volume bars in alsamixer are.  I didn't even notice them before.  I
guess the SB Pro I have at home doesn't have a mute function because
nothing happens in alsamixer on that machine when I press 'm'.

<psuedo-random hypothesis>
Hmm, now that I think about it, maybe that's why the "mute" button on
my keyboard at home turns the volume to nothing rather than simply
muting.  (my keyboard at work doesn't have those extra buttons;
'hotkeys' is the handler for those events)
</psuedo-random hypothesis>

Thanks!

-D

--
Microsoft DNS service terminates abnormally when it receives a response
to a dns query that was never made.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/