Re: Howto released: Using OpenLDAP on Debian Woody to serve Linux andSamba users

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:54:40 +0200 (CEST)
"Pim Bliek | PingWings.nl" <bliekp@pingwings.nl> wrote:

Hi!

> I am going to try your HOWTO tonight!

Hope it works. :)

> Did anyone, or maybe you Markus, by any chance, try this HOWTO on an
> unstable / Sarge server?

No, sorry, most of our servers are at least partially publicly
accessible, so they need to be "up" and "secure" so they all run Woody.
:)

> As I read the HOWTO it
> shouldn't be a problem, but I hope someone tried...

I don't know what exactly was changed from OpenLDAP 2.0.x to 2.1.x, but
AFAIK it's not that little...

Furthermore, as Stephan has already mentioned, LDAP support in Samba has
been greatly improved. (As I read somewhen somewhere, Debian package
maintainers seemed to have bad luck with the
Samba-alpha-release-versions they used, as they had serious bugs
repeatedly it seems. I guess this has changed with Samba-3.0.0beta2
already, which I've just realized has hit Sarge already too :) ...)

Cheers,
Max

--
The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.
                       <Cpt. Picard, "The Drumhead", StarTrek TNG>

http://homex.subnet.at/~max/