Re: Mail Setup

    "mustafa" == mustafa taha al-shawaf <alshawaf@students.uiuc.edu> writes:

    mustafa>    mustafa> alshawaf@uiuc.edu SMTP error from remote
    mustafa> mailer after MAIL FROM:<mta@Tiger> SIZE=1475: host
    mustafa> students.uiuc.edu [128.174.5.39]: 553 5.1.8
    mustafa> <mta@Tiger>... Domain of sender address mta@Tiger does
    mustafa> not exist

    mustafa> As you can probably guess, my login is mta and I called
    mustafa> my machine Tiger.

You should set the qualify_domain "uiuc.edu" (or what ever your
ISP/SMTP hosts domain name is), and set qualify_recipient to
Tiger. The UIUC SMTP server is refusing to accept mail from the
unknown domain "Tiger".

The email-addresses rule in exim.conf should also be modified to be
applied to *@uiuc.edu and not *@Tiger.

Of course these changes mean that you want to treat your local users
as if all thier email was handled at uiuc.edu. But that is what you
want, right? You can still get to real users by adding '-real' before
the name (i.e. to get to the local mta account you use real-mta).

Also, as a general rule, I don't capitalize domain/host names. It's
not supposed to make a difference, but....;-)

Cheers!
Shyamal