make-kpkg ( line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file)

I have tried compiling the 2.4.21 and available 2.6
kernels using the debian source packages.  I have been
following the instructions on the newbie doc
(http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html)
but when I try to compile either kernel version i get
almost exactly the same error after running:

fakeroot make-kpkg --append-to-version=.20030812 kernel_image

Which is (for the 2.6 try):

lots and lots of output......
and finally

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.0-test2'
echo done >  stamp-build
/usr/bin/make -f /usr/share/kernel-package/rules
real_stamp_image
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.0-test2'
/bin/sh: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
make[1]: *** [real_stamp_image] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.0-test2'
make: *** [kernel-image-deb] Error 2

Also I am on unstable.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Pete

ps I'm doing this for an IBM T40, does anyone know what is
the best processor type to pick for pentium m?