Re: how NOT to work with debian

Also sprach Richard Lyons (Mon 11 Aug 02003 at 11:28:17PM +0200):

> > > We-ell.  That looks horrible.  31 or 32 packages to remove by name
> [...]
>
> > All I know is that I looked high and low for a way to completely remove
> > everything kde, and could not find it.  I came up with this brute force
> > method, and it worked for me.
> >
> > Bottomline, as good as apt/dpkg is, remove is *not* the same as purge,
> > and -- even then -- some things remain, and interfere with the
> > reinstall.
> >
> > I strongly urge you to remove everything kde, and start over -- clean.
> > For those incomplete dpkg -l entries, you can do a creative apt-cache
> > search, and figure it out . . .
> >
> > Obviously, this is a very last resort . . .
>
> Well, I eventually did it.  I NOW HAVE KDE BACK!  Thanks.  The 30-odd packages
> turned out to be only 25-ish.  But the second stage, the removal of all the
> remaining bits of KDE, was alarming.  Your step 5,
>
>    find / | grep -i kd | less
>    find / | grep -i qt | less
> found thousands of files.  Then I realised that they were all in about twenty
> directories, so I deleted or renamed the directories.  After that it ran
> smoothly, only one error of configuration caused by my having deleted one
> file too many.
>
> Kooka and other applications have duplicate entries in all menus and toolbars,
> though.  Is this a recognisable symptom of something.  Perhaps I did mis a
> file that has had its contents appended???
>
> Other than that, I am thrilled.  This is the first time I have managed to
> access devices on the USB from Linux - a real bonus.

I am glad that this helped, although I am sorry that we had to go to
these lengths . . .

KDE is a very complex framework, and with such a great variety of
kde-integrated applications, all of which come with their own
complexity, it is amazing to me how well dpkg/apt _does_ work!

It would be nice to log a bug against those packages left behind by
remove/purge; and, also, it would be nice to log a bug against the kde
related installation processes that do not dwell well with previous
configuration files -- where would anybody begin?

If anybody finds a simpler way that is more effective, please, publish
it to the list . . .

--
Best Regards,

mds