Re: perl 5.8 for stable?

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 04:20:22PM -0700, Maria Rodriguez wrote:
> I've checked apt-get.org (now that it's back up) ;-) and didn't see
> anything, but I was just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere you can
> add to your sources.list that has perl 5.8 backported for woody.  I
> didn't think that it would have been that difficult to find, but it is
> really proving to be.

I don't know about an apt repository for a newer version of perl, but I
can tell you that I've solved the need for it by installing perl
manually in a different location.  Something like /opt/perl5.8 or
/usr/local/perl5.8.  What you can then do, when building CPAN modules,
is run e.g. /opt/perl5.8/bin/perl Makefile.PL, and build and install the
module normally.  Everything will be properly installed in /opt/perl5.8/
and will be available for that version of perl.  '/opt/perl5.8/bin/perl
-MCPAN -e "shell"' also does the right thing.

Then you can leave the standard perl in place for any Debian tools that
might not like the new one, and still use the new version where you need
it.

I've been doing this for well over a year now, and have found it to be
far more simple than one might expect.

noah