Re: My xserver crashes once my monitor goes to sleep...

When you start xscreensaver-demo, go to the 'advanced' tab.
Enable/disable power management there, and set timeouts and stuff.

Note that when I use Windowmaker or icewm, they don't start the
screensaver daemon. I start it by adding it to my .xsession or .xinitrc
file. Here's my .xsession:
	xscreensaver -no-splash&
	icewm
Hope that helps.