Re: nforce kernel modules

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:54:32AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
>  --- Johann Koenig <explosive@att.net> escribi?:
> >
> > Are your channels muted? They are by default.
>
> Why is this, and how do you change it?  I've noticed that the mixer
> settings on my machine never persist after a reboot (one has an
> nforce2 and the other a Yamaha 754).  It is kind of annoying to have
> to reset the volumes after a boot up.

Chances are you don't have the alsa-utils package installed.  It
provides alsactl which will automatically store and restore your mixer
settings if available (part of the alsa init script).

> I also get this message on boot (with a 2.6.0-test2 kernel):
>
> Starting ALSA (version 0.9.4): intel8x0-failed failed
>
> I also get a similar error on my laptop (with the Yamaha).
>
> Should I worry?  I hear sound with no problem.

If you still get them after having alsa-utils installed, or if you
already have it install let us know.

> Also, I get this error when starting Audacity on the nforce2 machine:
>
> "There was an error initializing the audio I/O layer.  You will not be
> able to play or record audio.
>
> Error: Host error."
>
> However, if I kill esd before starting Audacity I don't get the error.
> BTW, I've not had this error with 2.4.20 (with either the nvaudio or
> the ALSA i810).  It seems particular to the new kernels.  I also have
> no need (apparently) to kill esd on my laptop before using Audacity.
> Why is this?

Audacity can't get access to /dev/dsp because esd already has it.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar