Re: Good Debian-based distro

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:30:49 -0400 (EDT)
tallison@tacocat.net wrote:

> > On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:22:40 -0400 (EDT)
> > Because Debian is available for nearly ever hardware out there.
> > http://www.debian.org/ports
> >
> > Redhat supports significantly less platforms.
> > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/platform/linux/redhat.com/dist/linux/9/en/os/
> > shows only i386. They can afford to tailor their installer for just
> > that one architecture.
> >
> > That is a summary of the thread about why Knoppix has better
> > detection. They also focus on i386.
>
> Excellent point!
>
> If we assume that I'm narrowly focused on i386 architecture only.
> How do you utilize Kudzu in Debian for configuring new installs?

I'm not sure, I've always preferred to have a basic knowledge of my
hardware and set everything myself. If a new installer comes out, I'll
probably be the only one using the old woody disks and dist-upgrading.
I've actually come to like the current installer.

> Admittedly it isn't consistent with the ideology of Debian having a
> wide range of support for hardware and a consistent interface for
> installation, but the reality is that I have a number of installations
> to get done in a big fat hurry and could really benefit...

If your looking to do identical systems, look at the fully automatic
installer.
jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache show fai
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Huntingtons - Potty Mouth : Punk Vs. Emo (Disc 1 - Punk)