Re: e2fsck trashed system; chroot now failing

on Fri, 08 Aug 2003 04:55:23PM -0700, Alvin Oga insinuated:

> hi ya
>
> On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, nori heikkinen wrote:
>
> > i booted up my laptop to check my email this evening, and e2fsck
> > declares it's been 22 mounts or more and starts chugging away.  it
> > dies, so i knoppix-boot and manually e2fsck -y the thing so i don't
> > have to sit there and babysit it.  it finishes, so i reboot and take
> > the knoppix CD out.
>
> i'v always claimed,  "e2fsck -y" is very very very bad ...
> as you dont know what its gonna fix or try to fix or what it fixed

yeah, that's true.  i never know what i'm *not* supposed to fix,
though, and usually i see it fixing a few inodes, but not the hundreds
it did the other day.  now i know :-P

> 	-- if i see toomany sequential blocks being fixed, i abort
> 	and let it boot normally ... a few times and let the os
> 	reboots attempt to fix itself ....

tried that -- kernel panic immediately.

> - am also wondering if the partition was mounted when you told it to
>   run e2fsck manually ...
> 	e2fsck should abort unconditionally or at least read but NOT
> 	fix anything on mounted fs

no, it wasn't mounted.  i made sure of that.

so, now that i'm committed to re-installing, is there a way to get
package seletions without being able to chroot in and do a `dpkg
--get-selections`?  i kind of doubt it, but thought it might be worth
asking.

thanks,

</nori>

--