Re: Poor performance with 1GB of RAM

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:47:17PM +0200, Nejko Zidarjev wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 at 12:56:47, Antony Gelberg wrote:
>
> > J. Zidar wrote:
> > > Hello. I have a very peculiar problem with my Debian install.
> > >
> > > It seems to me that Debian is not using my ram at all, because I can
> > > hear and see a lot of disk activity happening, which could only mean
> > > that the system is using the swap partition (size 2GB).
> >
> > Or it could mean that the disk controller isn't working in it's most
> > preferable mode (UDMA whatever).  How much RAM do you have?  What does cat
> > /proc/meminfo say?

> > --
>
> I have 1GB of RAM.
>
> Output of cat proc/meminfo:
>         total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
> Mem:  1058750464 253161472 805588992        0 38518784 68460544
> Swap: 1998733312 40136704 1958596608
> MemTotal:      1033936 kB
> MemFree:        786708 kB
> MemShared:           0 kB
> Buffers:         37616 kB
> Cached:          53172 kB
> SwapCached:      13684 kB
> Active:          30624 kB
> Inactive:       107316 kB
> HighTotal:      131008 kB
> HighFree:        30764 kB
> LowTotal:       902928 kB
> LowFree:        755944 kB
> SwapTotal:     1951888 kB
> SwapFree:      1912692 kB
>
> Jernej Zidar

Well, you appear to be using negligible swap.  You also appear to have
about 800MB free RAM.  So it looks like the slowness you are seeing is
_probably_ not a swapfile issue.

Do you know if your hard disks are operating in the fastest possible
mode?  (clue: look through the output of dmesg)

Aside from that, why do you have a 2GB swapfile anyway, as you don't
appear to even be close to using all of your physical RAM?