Re: What this error mean?

> What this error mean?
>
> * hdc: dma_intr: status = 0x51 {driveready seekcomplete
> error} hdc: dma_intr : error = 0x84 {drive statuserror
> badcrc}

I've been staring at this error for months now and it sucks.

It may be a flakey drive.
It may be a dirtly CD-ROM.

In my case it was shitty EIDE code in the kernel screwing up my VIA
chipset (I think that's the name) (which is also shitty or even shittier I
find out) and causing massive problems with data corruptions and really
poor performance (7MB/s with a tail wind).

downgrade the kernel to 2.4.18 or lower and this problem may go away.

Alternatively, at least in theory, upgrade to 2.6.0-testX.

But the entire 2.4.2x series has been horribly problematic for these
motherboards and has been a real dissappointment.