Re: Name resolution on a dual homed host

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:20:10 +0200, John M. Purser wrote:
> I've got a Debian woody box acting as firewall for a small home network.  It
> has two ethernet cards with the internal network one being static and the
> external one configured by DHCP.  I use a cable modem for internet
> connectivity.  I'd like the Debian box to use the dns server it's running
> for name resolution but every time eth1 reconnects to comcast.net it
> overwrites /etc/resolv.conf with the standard nameserver addresses plus a
> search domain (attbi.com).  I though about changing the permissions on
> resolv.conf or adding a post-up script to eth1 but I was wondering if there
> was a right way to do this.  Its not a big deal but it bugs me.

If you use dhclient, you can adjust the behaviour with these options
in /etc/dhclient.conf. In fact, because dhclient isn't requesting any
dns servers, I just get the local one set with the prepend option.

supersede domain-name "localdomain";
prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.1.3;
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        domain-name, host-name;
require subnet-mask;

--
Stephen Patterson http://www.lexx.uklinux.net http://patter.mine.nu