Changing window managers The Debian Way (was Re: how NOT to work with debian)

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 21:11, Damien Solley wrote:
> Looks like X is running fine. You just need a window manager other than
> twm!
> from a console, edit your ~/.xinitrc file. For simplicity, this file can
> have just one line, reading:
> 	startkde
>
> That'll start kde (if it's installed correctly). Otherwise you can
> specify:
> gnome-session #(To start gnome 2)
> xterm	#(to start an xterm)

Isn't it The Debian Way to do:
# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

You may also have to do:

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

> Or whatever you want to start.
>
> On Mon, 2003-08-11 at 10:03, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > On Monday 11 August 2003 3:36 am, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> > > On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:25:48AM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > [...general description snipped...]
> > > Give more technical detail.  How are you trying to start X?  Most
> > > importantly of all, what do the error messages say?
> >
> > Yes.  I do 'startx' - it switches to tty7 and a big debian logo on crumpled
> > paper appears.  Looks like correct screen res. etc.  The mouse is active.
> > There is a square thing called 'main' with a paperclip icon and two arrow
> > corners.  This widget can be moved around.  Three more suare widgets top
> > right may be part of the bitmap or may be just not active.
> > Back in tty1, - i'll have to copy this manually - so approx:
> >
> > Using authority file /...
> > Writing authority file /...
> > [repeat 2 lines]
> >
> > XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0ds4 ...
> > Release Date: 18 March 2003
> > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0...
> > Build Operating System Linux 2.4.21-pre5 i686 [ELF]
> > Module Loader present
> > OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.21-xfs (root@Knoppix) (gcc ver...
> > (==) Log file: ...
> > (==) Using Config file...
> > Skipping "usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No
> > symbols found
> > [4 more similar]
> > Warning font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
> > [9 more similar]
> >
> > and that is it.  Nothing more moves.
> > ps -ef shows 5 or 6 processes that are or may be tty1:
> >    -sh
> >    /bin/sh
> >    xinit
> >    /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
> >    WindowMaker
> >    ssh-agent x-window-manager
> >
> > what more info can I usefully get?
> >
> > --
> > richard
> > >
> > > I don't think the apt HOWTO is relevant, as this is an X problem.
> > >
> > > You must be aware by now that almost _no_ *nix problem requires a
> > > complete reinstall.  You're thinking like a Windows user.  :)

> --
> Damien Solley
dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net           |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                            |
| "Man, I'm pretty.  Hoo Hah!"                                  |
|    Johnny Bravo                                               |