Re: Basic 2D graphics card for Linux?

David selby írta:

Anthony Campbell wrote:

My Riva TNT2 AGP card has just packed up and I'm looking for a
replacement that will work reliably on Linux with a 19" monitor. I don't
play games so I need something fairly basic but with good 2D
performance and AGP. Any recommendations please?

AC
I recently bought a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64, 32MB RAM APG for ?35, works a dream, NVIDIA drivers easy to install so full hardware acceleration. Tux racer is as smooth as silk ...

Dave

PS Mine is a 15" monitor

I also have a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 32 Mbyte (from Asustek) and a Nvidia Geforce4 Ti4200 from Abit and my previous graphic card also was a Nvidia chip based card too(Diamond Viper V770, TNT2) and I like these cards because their quality/prize is not bad and the 3D performance also good BUT if you were you i'm gonna buy a Matrox G400, G450 card (maybe G550). You don't need the 3D performance but you need the well documented/supported graphic card. If you try to do anything in 2D (wathing TV or capturing it, using TV-out or using dual-(trial)head feature) you will find the best solution in the Matrox cards. Not only the good (nativ and open source) drivers and the best picture quality, but for example if you use the Mplayer most of the developers use these cards so they much more supported etc etc... So these cards 2D quality/performance much better than the Nvidia cards and their Linux driver (the X drivers) are perfect and built-in...;o)

Andras  ;o)