Re: Reliably transferring a large amount of data from one machine to another over DSL

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 12:17:08AM +0100, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two machines connected to the internet using DSL. What I would
> like to do is backup one machine to the other. The files are compressed
> and encrypted and then transferred usinc SCP. Atleast, thats what its
> supposed to do. It does the first two steps fine but the transfer is
> regularly unsuccessful - it aborts with "connection lost" or similart
> (cant remember exact error message). The procedure is run from cron.

Could it be to do with the CMs renewing their leases?  Even if the IP
doesn't change, perhaps the connection tracking "forgets" their
connection after a new lease is acquired ... ?

> Any ideas on a reliable way to transfer 1 or 2 gb of data over dsl ?

How about setting up an rsync server on the machine to be backed up, and
cron'ing a "get" job on the machine that hosts the backups?

HTH,
  jc