Re: Helping the newbie

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:35:49 -0400
"Jeremy Davis" <jeremy@slicenet.net> wrote:
> routers and 7 Slackware machines running radius, DNS, Apache/PHP/Perl. Some
> people say the "testing" tree is alpha some say its stable as redhat, so
> which is it?  Keep in mind, I don't run X, I just run linux based servers
> and packetfilters/firewalls.  Thanks for all of the help.

    Personally I consider testing fairly stable.  I've been riding the testing
tree for years with very few major blowouts.  There are a few things to keep
in mind.

1: Only update what you need.  Rarely should you just do a blanket update of
all packages.

2: apt-listbugs is a godsend.  Install it, use it, love it.

3: apt-listchanges is a demi-godsed.  Install it, use it, love it.

4: Be willing to back down from something that is broken and don't be afraid
to freeze things.

    By and large unstable is quite reliable, you just have to be aware that
every now and again a show stopper gets in and you'll have to deal with it.
"Every now and agian" in my experience being once in 4 years.