Installing LVM

I'm trying to install an LVM system under Debian.

This is what I've done so far:

Using the 3.0 installation CD I've installed up to a 'base' system.
then:
modified /etc/apt/sources.list to include -testing and set /etc/apt/preferences to -stable->999 and -testing 501

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1.686
apt-get install lvm2

pvcreate -ff /dev/hda4
vgcreate vg0 /dev/hda4
--this complained about a lot of stuff missing, but seemed to work just the same, vgscan was OK.
vgdisplay shows the volume group.

But lvcreate utterly pukes everytime with:

lvcreate -L3G /nusr vg0
invalidate: busy buffer (about 20 repeats)
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such file or directory
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open filed... same as above
Failed to activate new LV.

But if I do it again, I get "Logical volume 'usr' already exists in volume group 'vg0'

Goofy errors, what's going on?
--
If this fortune didn't exist, somebody would have invented it.