Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:39:23AM -0700, Alan Connor wrote:
> > From csousa@tvtel.pt Thu Aug  7 09:33:53 2003

> > > No he isn't.  His "From:" line reads "From: alanc".  As it contains no
> > > domain your service provider's MTA adds its own.  He's still doing
> > > something stupid, but it isn't forgery.
> >
> > Yes, I was aware of that. It's still forgery, though, in the sense that,
> > through his ignorance, he is causing his email to appear to others as
> > coming from non-existent addresses, in spite of having already been
> > warned about it several times since the start of this discussion.
> >
> > --
> > Carlos Sousa
> > http://vbc.dyndns.org/
> >

> The problem has been fixed since yesterday, which makes this post of yours
> libelous. Which is the greater crime? An inadvertantly misconfigured MUA
> or libel?

Since his mail was in response to one of your misconfigured emails, it
isn't libelous.  Sorry.  I suppose you could retain a lawyer if you're
serious about making a libel claim.

Say, is your broken threading an inadvertant misconfiguration, or did
you break it on purpose?

> And pray tell just who are you to warn anyone about anything?

He's got as much right to speak here as you, I imagine, this being an
open forum and all.

However, since you brought it up, who are _you_?  What's your
experience?  Where's your resume and references?  Have you audited all
this code you've written for race conditions, deadlocks, and the like?
IOW, why should I download your software which you blithely claim
solves all spam problems until the end of time? If I had no opinion
regarding CR, I still would think twice about downloading yuour
software.  Your conversations here do not encourage me to believe that
you would handle bug reports in a fashion pleasing to me. ("The
software does not work in this situation." "Yes it does!  You do not
understand the software." "...")

> Hot air doesn't bother ME at all.

That is manifestly apparent.

  The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that
  they be properly armed.
          -- Alexander Hamilton