Re: GCC for kernel compilation

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:27:20PM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> I just upgraded to the current Sarge and also got GCC 3.3. It seems this
> version can't compile all the drivers in kernel 2.4.21. Which version
> should I use? And how do I set this version (Environment variable?)
> without deinstalling GCC 3.3?

For now, kernel compiles should use 2.95.  Setting this can be done like
so:

   MAKEFLAGS="CC=gcc-2.95" make-kpkg ...

That is assuming you use the make-kpkg utility for building your
kernels.  Otherwise, simply setting CC=gcc-2.95 may be enough.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar