Re: Source Builds

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 09:44:10PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:
> David Z Maze wrote:
> >Tom Allison <tallison@tacocat.net> writes:
> >

> >>Is there a link that describes how to go about building packages from
> >>the deb-src files and how I might identify packages for source build
> >>only?
> >

> >Modify the source as you feel appropriate, add a new entry to the top
> >of debian/changelog, and run 'debuild' out of the devscripts package.
> >Read documentation on http://www.debian.org/devel/.
> >

> Maybe I should ask a more primitive question.
>
> What is 'deb-src' for?
>
> I thought it was to provide the source code of a deb package and allow the
> end user to subsequently build a CPU specific or slightly modified
> (configuration parameters) .deb file for installation onto their own Debian
> installation.

  That is one reason for deb-src. Others might be to comply with the
license which requires the distributer to let the user have the source,
to help modifications and further development of the software and so on.
Still, if one wants to build a deb one way is to follow what was written
above about the modification of the source. As it is, the debian source
packages usually don't have out of the box facilities to help the end
user build an optimized package for his machine. A user that want to use
the source for this end is welcomed but he will have to know what he is
doing.
--

    Shaul Karl,    shaul @ actcom . net . il