Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look at

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:47:02 -0500, Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> wrote:

> "Scott C. Linnenbringer" <sl@eskimo.com> writes:
>
> > By using an invalid email address in your headers with a valid
> > domain, the site's mx is picking up the weight of spam, even though
> > you are not.
>
> I think eskimo.com's mail system is actually slightly broken, and
> that Alan Connor isn't posting mail as if from eskimo.com.
>
> I looked at my copy of the parent post, and here's the headers

> From: Alan Connor <alanc@localhost>
>

> I think eskimo.com is rewriting that localhost into eskimo.com.  So
> it isn't actually getting any extra load from Alan Connor... it's
> just slightly damaging the mail.  (Which doesn't strike me as a large
> bug, since he shouldn't be posting with that address, anyway.  Why
> people think that a fake From: but a valid Reply-To: is any use is
> beyond me.)

Oh, you're right. Now that I examine the headers even further, it turns
out that Eskimo is rewriting the address.

But anyways, a valid, routable email address should always be used in
mailing lists anyways. That's just proper netiquette, something that
Alan Connor didn't hesitate to throw at us regarding PGP/GPG signatures.
The USENET is a different story, and I'm willing to bet that he's not
aware of munging policies of mailing lists vs. the USENET.

--
Scott Christopher Linnenbringer	    <sl@eskimo.com>
http://www.eskimo.com/~sl/info.txt  <sl@moslug.org>