Re: Really stupid use of cleanlinks

Also sprach Alan Shutko (Wed 06 Aug 02003 at 01:20:57PM -0500):
> "Michael D. Schleif" <mds@helices.org> writes:
>
> >    # Remove dangling symlinks and empty directories from a shadow link tree
> >    # (created with lndir).
>
> > What could be the purpose of this script?
>
> As described in the script and manpage, it's to fix up a shadow link
> tree that was created with lndir.  It's not a general tool!

Yes, if *only* this made it into the manpage, and my previously
referenced man content was removed, then I'd agree with you:

   # Remove dangling symlinks and empty directories from a shadow link tree
   # (created with lndir).

As it stands, I heartily disagree with your position . . .

> The lndir manpage describes what the point is:
<snip />

Wow!  Are you recommending that one should read *every* manpage, for
*every* command referenced in *every* other manpage -- recursively, ad
infinitum ???

Yes, I really wish that I had the time necessary to accomplish this;
but, as it stands, I find that suggestion grossly un-reasonable . . .

P.S., I am *NOT* trying to dis anybody, in this thread or otherwise.
Nevertheless, in this case, the cleanlinks manpage is erroneous and
dangerously misleading -- and, I'd really love to reach consensus on
that point.  Thank you.

--
Best Regards,

mds