Re: Really stupid use of cleanlinks

Also sprach Anthony Campbell (Wed 06 Aug 02003 at 03:56:28PM +0100):
> Never do this!
> I just ran cleanlinks on my root directory; really stupid thing to do!
> Lots of things were deleted which should not have been and I don't know
> how long it will take to get things back working; only just restored ppp. Possibly a new
> installation will be required?

This is plain scary !?!?

   # sudo cat /usr/X11R6/bin/cleanlinks
   # Copyright © 2000 by The XFree86 Project, Inc
   # Remove dangling symlinks and empty directories from a shadow link tree
   # (created with lndir).
   # Author: David Dawes <dawes@xfree86.org>
   # $XFree86: xc/config/util/cleanlinks.sh,v 1.1 2001/03/21 20:25:00 dawes Exp $

   find . -type l -print |
           read i
           while [ X"$i" != X ]; do
                   if [ ! -f "$i" ]; then
                           echo $i is a dangling symlink, removing
                           rm -f "$i"
                   read i

   echo Removing empty directories ...
   find . -type d -depth -print | xargs rmdir > /dev/null 2>&1
   exit 0

Actually, that script removes every symbolic link that does not test
successfully as a regular file.  Yes, that test will follow the symbolic
link; but, it will only check whether or not the destination is a
regular file.  It does *NOT* test for dangling symlink at all!  On my
system, I have *many* symlinks to directories, all of which contain
something, and this script flags *ALL* of them for removal . . .

What could be the purpose of this script?

Best Regards,

mds resource