Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

on Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:36:41PM +0100, Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 10:36:01PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:

<...>

> > Given that a given key is only retrieved once, the penalty is
> > front-loaded, and gets better.
> >
> > You can always abort the fetch with ^C.
>
> I can, but I'm often reading mail over a relatively slow ssh link and it
> takes me a few seconds for my brain to decide whether it's just a slow
> connection or whether gpg is really sitting there trying to talk to a
> keyserver. Trust me, I did consider this and it really does slow me down
> significantly while I'm trying to get through the huge number of mails I
> get a day in a sensible amount of time. I can always (and do, now and
> then) retrieve keys explicitly in cases where I'm interested.

Dittos on the mail config.  56k to a transcon, transoceanic connection.
On a slow box.  Hell, even when I _do_ have the key, validations take an
appreciable amount of time.  So yes, I feel your pain.

> Likewise, I've turned off gpg's automatic trustdb check since I very
> rarely care about the results. People I trust I also know, and these
> days I've often signed their key too.

I suffer, but then, that's just me ;-)

Peace.

   Verio webhosting?  Guaranteed downtime: