Re: Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 10:57, ZekeVarg wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Have just installed debian and run a dist-upgrade to sid. Now when I try
> to open a gtk based program I get this error message:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
>
> Any idee's on what's the problem and how to fix it?
>
> Zeke

Zeke,

IIRC, the display is not set by default for root.  If you are
trying to do this as root you need to set the display manually,
or better yet, start X as a regular user, not root, and then
only use root when you absolutely have to.  Of course I'm assuming
you're actually trying to use the program under X and not at the
console.

Regards
--
Kourosh <debian@mindwaresystems.com>