Re: stress testing software routers

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 19:48, Dan wrote:
> I'd like to stress test a software router to determine how many
> packets it can handle per second. Is there any package available for
> doing this? One requirement I would need is that I should be able to
> create custom packets to be used for the test. If anyone has done
> this or something similar and want to share tips/techniques I'd
> appreciate it.

Is that what you want?
jorg@btb8x1:~$ apt-cache show scapy
Package: scapy
Section: net
Installed-Size: 168
Maintainer: Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@agi.as>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.9.14-1
Depends: python2.2
Filename: pool/main/s/scapy/scapy_0.9.14-1_all.deb
Size: 43376
MD5sum: 953cc067a553b1ca61c3cdd840e8fbe2
 Scapy is a powerful interactive packet manipulation tool, packet
 generator, network scanner, network discovery, packet sniffer, etc. It
 can for the moment replace hping, 85% of nmap, arpspoof, arp-sk,
arping,
 tcpdump, tethereal, p0f, ....
 .
 In scapy you define a set of packets, then it sends them, receives
 answers, matches requests with answers and returns a list of packet
couples
 (request, answer) and a list of unmatched packets. This has the big
advantage
 over tools like nmap or hping that an answer is not reduced to
 (open/closed/filtered), but is the whole packet.

joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!