Re: Anyone run LInux with 16GB RAM?

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 17:08, Kourosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone been able to get a Linux system, preferably Debian Woody, to
> run stably with 16GB RAM?  I have someone who has a Dual Xeon proc
> system with 8GM RAM (8 x 1GB ECC registered) running Debian Woody and
> Oracle 9i with no problems.  They would very much like to up this to
> 16GB (8 x 2GB ECC registered) but so far it crashes after 48 hours.
>
> I have had one person tell me that they have a quad proc machine with
> 16G RAM running fine with a self-compiled kernel.org 2.4.18 kernel, but
> we can't seem to get one working.  We've enable HIGHMEM with and without
> HIGHMEM I/O but still no good.  Any other positive reports with
> dual-proc machines and 16GB RAM?  Patches, compiler settings, etc?

Just out of curiosity, is there an intermediary step between 8GB and
16GB, or is the nature of the system such that all 8 DIMMs must be
the same?

Have you tried, dare I say it, RH9, just to see if that works?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |