Passing parameters to a telnet session?

Does anyone know if there is a way to pass a parameter to a telnet session?

I have set up a user on one box that does not require a password to log in. I telnet to his account from another box using:

	telnet hostname -l username

I want to be able to pass a parameter of some kind, or set an environment variable that I can test in .bash_profile and determine the specific action to be taken depending on its value. Is this possible, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Marc Shapiro