Re:help for backporting

 Hi Geoff,

 you wrote :
I'm trying to backport the libssl and ipsec-tools packages from
sid to woody, so I can try out the IPsec features of the 2.4.21 kernel.

 and your problem is that version of libssl that you need has
   shlibdeps on libc6(>= 2.3.1-10).

 As far as i know, this dependency is put there by maintainer of libssl,
    because that libssl version doesnt work with an older libc.
 If you want to try out ipsec,
   easiest way (and only possibility for you, i think)
   is to install Debian unstable
   (put it in a separate partition if you want to keep stable installed ).

 hope this helps,

 Siward