Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

on Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 08:14:43AM -0500, Kirk Strauser (kirk@strauser.com) wrote:
> At 2003-08-03T04:13:26Z, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> <proofread>
>
> >         Effective spam management tools should place the burden either
> >         on the spammer, or at the very least, on the person receiving
> >         the benefits of the filtering (the mail recipient).  Instead,
> >         challenge-response puts the burden on, at best, a person not
> >         directly benefitting, and quite likely (read on).
>
> ...and quite likely what?  Purple?  Annoyed?  Tall?

Yeah, yeah.

That's been updated to "...quite likely (read on) a completely innocent
party".  Which still isn't quite the correct connotation.  I'm looking
at the case of mailing list-triggered C-R.

> >         The mechanics of C-R systems lead to a fairly high probability
> >         that users of such
>
> ...systems disappear without a trace?

Thanks.  "...users of such systems will fail to receive non-spam
messages, of potentially very high significance".

Appreciated, Kirk.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/