Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

Also sprach Alan Connor (Sun 03 Aug 02003 at 12:32:53PM -0700):

<snip />

> The above gibberish contributed by Karsten is typical of the reaction that
> spammers give when asked what they think of CR programs.
>
> And it would make any slimy politician or sleazeball lawyer proud.
>
> Here's the basic dilemma:
>
> Most people want to be able to send anonymous mail to others,, but don't want
> others to be able to send it to them.
>
> That's why there alleged 'spamfighting' programs never work. The spammers
> just search for the loopholes that they KNOW exist because of the
> essential hypocrisy of the alleged 'spamfighters'.
>
> *I* don't get any spam. Why do YOU?
>
> But then, a CR doesn't bother ME a bit. Been encountering a lot of them
> lately.
>
> Don't complain when I have to log in to a website either, which is more of
> a hassle than answering a CR, and I have to do it over and over and over.,,,

Let me see if I've got this straight:

[1]  <A> uses a C-R system
[2]  <B> uses a C-R system
[3]  <A> sends an email to <B>
[4]  By sending that email, <A> whitelists <B>
[5]  <B>'s C-R intercepts <A>'s email
[6]  <B>'s C-R sends a challenge to <A>
[7]  <A>'s C-R passes <B>'s challenge onto <A>
[8]  <A> sends the password response to <B>
[9]  <B> accepts <A>'s password
[10] <B> reads <A>'s original message
[11] <B> responds to <A> from work, with his work email address
[12] <A>'s C-R intercepts <B>'s email
[13] <A>'s C-R does not recognize <B>'s work address
[14] <A>'s C-R sends a challenge to <B> . . .

Do I understand this correctly?

P.S., Thank you, Alan, for finally following a thread . . .

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource