nVidia questions

I have been having some problems on my workstation at home for a few weeks
now, and I'm not sure any more where to look. At first, I thought (and I'm
still inclined to look in that direction) that it was a Gnome problem. I
have always had abyssmal luck with Gnome, I tried the desktop back in the
day and it was always unstable for me.

I am running an Athlon 1GHz with 768MB of SDRAM. It has a GeForce4 MX card
(MSI) and is running sid with XFree 4.2.1-9. I am also running
the nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel (1.0.4349-1 and 1.0.4349-3 respectively),
and do a ton of video processing and other graphics and processor
intensive activities.

I first noticed the problem about the end of May, while running Evolution
(desktop is Enlightenment). When I would click the Send/Receive button to
check the mail server for new messages, sometimes (at random, it seemed)
it would blow my X session out to an xdm login. If left running all
night, the automatic send/receive activity would cause me to wake up to
an X server at 100% cpu. The X session eject was random enough that it
took me a bit to figure out that was the cause. I posted to the evo list,
and they said something about"using gtk-2.0 in a way it had never been
used before" or some such. So I converted to Sylpheed-claws as my MUA.

Last week, I had something similar happen with Galeon. I was doing a
download, and scrolled the files to see if a particular version had been
downloaded before, and when I clicked ok, it went back to the login
screen.

The reason I am posting here is that a friend of mine said that he had
heard some rumblings about the nvidia drivers causing problems. I have
been running an nvidia card for 3+ years and have never had problems of
this nature, though my GF2 died and I replaced it with the GF4 about 3
months ago. But the problems did not start to occur immediately.

Should I be suspecting Gnome apps or one of the underlying libs, the
nvidia drivers or a combination of the two? I'd love to get this fixed
soonest.

Tks,
--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                           |