Re: Look at these update from M$ Corporation.

> From aaron@core-dev.com Fri Aug  1 10:55:48 2003
>

> On -6007-Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 04:57:30PM -0700, Alan Connor <alanconnor@earthlink.net> spake thus,
> > What people mean when they say they are fed up with spam, is that they are
> > fed up with SOME spam, but want to get the others.
> >
> > There simply is no way that a "negative" approach will work. The "don't pass"
> > list is infinite and its characteristics are ever-changing.
>
> True, but the approach seems to work for me. I used to have an inbox
> filled daily with 10-20 UCEs, and now I get MAYBE 2.

I get none, and I'd be willing to bet that you save that spam and have to
examine at least the headers to make sure the program didn't make any mistakes.
And that you have to spend time updating the filter expressions.

I only have to update my pass list, which is automated, and do NOT save
anything but headers, if that. And this is just for testing. No regular
C-R user has to do even that.

> > So they end up spending good money on programs that kill things they would
> > like to see, and don't kill things they find objectionable, because these
> > programs are obsolete  a week after they are released.
>
> SpamAssassin is free, and I wouldn't recommend to anyone that they pay
> for "no-pass" software.

Why pay for something that a near-newbie like myself can write in Bash.
I wouldn't either. The most basic form of C-R program is just a procmail
recipe.

> > To stop spam you have to decide who you WANT to hear from, and dump EVERYTHING
> > else.
> >
> > You cannot accept any mail that doesn't have a valid return address.
> >

> Fair enough.
>

> > > I can't say any of those have landed in my inbox, though ;-) Straight
> > > to ~/mail/spam with no stops in between.
> > >

> > See? You aren't blocking spam, you are saving mail that MIGHT be spam
> > to a directory and then reading through it.
> >

> No, I don't read through it. But if someone says "Hey, did you get
> that e-mail I sent you two days ago that was about free credit card
> long distance porno?" I can be pretty sure where to recover it from.

You still have to save the stuff, some of which is potentially dangerous,
even in Linux, and must read that header to know what it says.

> I still rely on other forms of communication to tip me off to the
> possibility that SpamAssassin marked something it shouldn't have.
>

> > Why? Because SpamAssasin doesn't work, and will never work.
> >

> It works well enough for me, and quite a few other people. I realize
> it isn't 100% effective, but I never asked for a magic salve that
> would make all UCEs go away.

Fair enough. But the program uses  a LOT (comparitively) of disk space,
CPU time and RAM.

AND a lot of YOUR time (comparitively). This would include installation
and configuration, which takes a minute or so, even with relatively
sophisticated C-R programs like mine. (which you could WRITE in an hour,
at most.)

> > If the headers have been monkeyed with to the point that procmail can't
> > process it, it goes to /dev/null. Non-conforming headers are a SURE sign
> > that a mail is spam, because they are trying to get past your filters.
> >
> > Which they do, with programs like SpamAssasin.

Glad to hear it.

> Infrequently, but it does happen. Yesterday I discovered a way that I
> can have a THREE FOOT PENIS! That's exciting.

Now THAT would be a good way to end your love-life :-)

> --
> Aaron Bieber
> -
> Graphic Design // Web Design
> http://www.core-dev.com/
> aaron@core-dev.com

Very good,

Alan

--
      For Linux/Bash users: Eliminate spam with the Mailbox-Sentry-Program.
         See: http://tinyurl.com/inpd  for the scripts and docs.