Re: I'm a Bastard Operator... From Hell.

On -5921-Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 03:57:51PM -0500, Jesse Meyer <meyer@btinet.net> spake thus,
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Aaron wrote:
>
> > I had someone SSHed into my box the other day (my laptop) while at
> > work and I wanted to screw with him by booting him off. I obviously
> > have root on my box, but I wonder if there is any "official" or
> > "proper" way to make a user leave the system?
> >
> > Something along the lines of a "kick" is what I'm after. I achieved
> > the same result by killing his topmost bash process, but not only is
> > that probably dangerous and unpredictable, it doesn't let me add a
> > mean message ;-)
>
> Shouldn't a real BOFH already know this?  :-)
>
> Off the top of my head, try:
>
> 	1) w | grep yuppyscum to get the terminal number (#)
> 	2) echo -e -n 'DIE SCUM!' > /dev/pts/#
> 	3) pkill -u yuppyscum
>
> I'm sure there are more elegant solutions, but I prefer the brute
> forcefulness of this one.  Plus, my way takes all of the user processes.
> :)  No (GNU) screen to the rescue.

That is the first REAL answer I've gotten. I especially like the echo
bit. I will probably not have an application for this, but it's a
wonderful example of how a sysadmin could become a BOFH in real life,
rather than just the *clickity click* abstraction of fiction.

--
Aaron Bieber
-