acpi S3 sleep state locks on wakeup

When I try to send my laptop to sleep using the S3 state:
echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep it shuts down properly and the green power
light turns flashing red (as is supposed to)
Pressing any button wakes up the computer, only the screen is blank and
backlight is off, and the hardisk light is constantly on (can't hear if
its running, really quite on a laptop).
numlock and caps lock function properly (lights go on and off) but
typing at the console doesn't cause anything. i.e typing reboot doesn't
cause a reboot (havn't tried echoing to file though).
Using hibernate (sleep state 4) works properly under light load, but
fails under heavy load.
I am using an acpi patched 2.6.0-test1 kernel with a custom dsdt (had
errors 2026 and 1013 in compilation which I fixed according to manuals),
on a sony vaio pcg-fxa53, i.e amd athelon mobile xp 1500+ (1.3G)
Looking for sugestion on solutions or for debuging.

Thanx.

Have an orange day ...