Re: LANG in /etc/environment and in .bashrc

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:27:00AM +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Robin Gerard (<robin.jag@free.fr>) wrote:
>
> > I would like to understand why, when I set LANG to C, in
> > /etc/environment and LANG to fr_FR.ISO-8859-1 in my .bashrc, after the
> > login, I can't write te letters with accents.
>
> Are you talking about a login shell? .bashrc is used for non-login
> shells. .bash_profile is used for login shells. Check if your
> .bash_profile is set to include your .bashrc.

I think so. My .bash_profile contains the lines: (without #)

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
source ~/.basrc

Anyway, one solution is to put LANG=fr_FR.ISO-8859-1 in /etc/environment
and export LANG=C in the .bashrc of the user English-speaking.
Thanks for your advices.
--
Gerard