Re: Activating ACPI supend and ACPI Hibernate in klaptop

> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 11:19 pm, Mark Roach wrote:
>> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 23:43, Marino Fernandez wrote:
>> > On Tuesday 29 July 2003 4:05 pm, Mark Roach wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> > Thank you Mark
>> >
>> > I have the same as you do in /proc/acpi/sleep
>> >
>> > How do you do or try swsusp... how do you suspend the machine?.
>>
>> I don't personally, I tried it once, didn't work easily, so I just leave
>> the thing running :-) Getting versions of acpi and swsusp for the same
>> kernel, modifying osl.c to import my modified dsdt, etc. I am lazy.
>>
>> If you are more ambitious than I, look at swsusp.sf.net or just do like
>> I do and wait for the 2.6 series kernels to be released with all the
>> hard stuff done for you... well, most of the hard stuff anyway
>>
> I am running 2.6.0-test2 (with all the acpi stuff compiled into the
> kernel),
> that is the reason I am perplexed, I though I had everything set, but
> apparently klaptop needs some command to suspend or hibernate my laptop.

I have a related question that came about as the result of a brief
exploration into SuSE 8.2 on my notebook.

Suse 8.2 only has ACPI support and nothing for APM.
Prior to this I had a reasonably working APM configuration on my Debian
installation.  Reasonably, but not perfect, my PCMCIA NIC was a problem
because it refused to suspend.

However, what I have since discovered is that my notebook, while claiming
support for ACPI, doesn't actually "do" anything when I press various
buttons which used to work under APM for suspend, sleep, hibernate (I know
this won't work right now because I removed my FAT partition).

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to have ACPI power
management support on this notebook (hopefully it will allow more
functionality than APM).

It seems that the buttons were only recognized under APM.  Is this a BIOS
setting?  Is there anything I can do to get these working on the newer
power management schemes?