Re: Debian installation by newbie

Antony Gelberg wrote:

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 09:31:38AM -0500, Shashank Bhide wrote:
Hello folks,
Could you tell me how to install Debian ? I got to the archives section (I want to install Potato and then upgrade to woody.....learning process), but there are a lot of files and I am confused as to which files I need to use in order to get the OS installed. Do I need to burn CDs? Or the floppy disk images are sufficient?
Please advise,
Shashank

Have a look on the documentation on www.debian.org.

Antony

More specifically, the Installation Manual for x86 architectures at:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install

(there are other archs available also, but I'm assuming you're on x86).

I find that it's easiest to download a minimal Network Installation CD, and boot off of that to install just enough to hit the network to finish up a complete install.

If you have issues with burning/booting CDs, yes the floppy images are sufficient, but you have to have pristine floppies; anay little glitch will cause the installation to fail at that point (but if you have a second machine you can then create a new floppy and continue on without starting over from scratch).

It's been a while, but you'll need 6 or 10 floppies or so; I think you'll need a "root.bin", a "rescue.bin", a "linux", rawrite2.exe to write the images to floppy from DOS, and a bevy of "base" floppies. Again, the manual mentioned above is the best place to start, and then feel free to ask questions for clarification.

--
Kent