Re: more install problems

Richard Lyons wrote:
On Wednesday 30 July 2003 14:18, Antony Gelberg wrote:
[...]

Use script.  man script for details.  Basically it's like a wrapper
that records everything on your terminal between typing script and
doing a Ctrl-d.

But, as was pointed out earlier, you _could_ try modprobe 8139too.

8139too exists in 2.2 kernel version, but not in the bf2.4 version.

My mistake, 8139too is built into bf2.4, not a module, so if it worked, it would have picked up the card at boot time (or would it, with the card being pcmcia, have needed some pcmcia-cs to run first?).

I could imagine that 8139too being built into the kernel might cause problems for realtek_cb working as a module, down the line. Doesn't really explain why you can't compile it, though.

I used script.  THis is what I got:
----------------------
segaccia:~/down# ls  gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O
O6 -c rtl8319.c -o realtek_cb.o
-I/usr/src/linux/include/ [1P [1P [1@1 [1@3
[...]
rtl8139.c: In function `rtl8129_open':
rtl8139.c:714: structure has no member named `tbusy'
rtl8139.c:715: structure has no member named `interrupt'
rtl8139.c:716: structure has no member named `start'
[ similar errors ]

I don't have the source file you're compiling, but looking at the current rtl8139.c at scyld.com, these accesses are ifdeffed into pre-2.4 kernels only. I would recommend you stick with the bf2.4 kernel, and make sure you have the right kernel headers installed in /usr/src:

# apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4

If you still get the errors above, something's seriously screwy: check what /usr/src/linux is pointing to (it's presumably a symlink)

--
Andrew