Re: Kernel 2.2 and 2.4: boot differences?

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 11:12, Adrian Zimmer wrote:
> As to lspci, I did take your advice but  the results seemed to tell
> me nothing useful.  Here they are  is. Maybe, you will see something
> interesting:
>
> >From 2.2.20-idepci
>
> 00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet Adapter (rev 11)
> 	Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation: Unknown device 2242
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> 	I/O ports at 1c00
> 	Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> 	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>
> >From 2.4.18 (compiled by me)
>
> 00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Accton Technology Corporation EN-1216 Ethernet Adapter (rev 11)
> 	Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation: Unknown device 2242
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> 	I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
> 	Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
> 	Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
> 	Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
>
> I still tend to think the problem is with what the configuration is doing
> *after* tulip gets set up --- right where I would have thought things would
> be running the same for both kernel images.  Can't claim I have much
> relevant experience to support that intuition though.

>From your email this morning:
"the base addresses used by the two tulip modules are different"

>From what I see, the base address is the same under both kernels:
IRQ = 11
Base address = 1c00

Where do you get the info saying there are different base addresses?

What's the output of "netstat -a"?  (Since for me it's 186 lines,
why not send it to me directly as an attachment?)

The output from ifconfig might help also.

[big snippage]

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |