Re: resolv.conf

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 03:58:31PM +0200, Timo Kamph wrote:
> > I had a little trouble installing my ethernet cards drivers. Now the
> > interface is up and works fine.
> > But there is a problem with DNS. /etc/resolv.conf was missing, so i
> created
> > one, containing a single line:
> >
> > nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >
> > where the xxx stuff is the nameservers ip address.
> > But it won't work. Even not after a reboot.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Can you ping the name server?  If you can, then make sure that
> /etc/host.conf contains something like:
>
> order hosts, bind
>
> You could also try using host to query the name server, and seeing if
> you get a response.
>
> Let us know what happens.

Ok, I can ping the nameserver and name resolution will work if I pass the
servers IP-address to host on the commandline: 'host www.google.com' fails: ';;
connection timed out; no servers could be reached'.
But 'host www.google.com 153.96.195.34 works fine.

My conf files are below.

Timo

/etc/resolv.conf: